Monday, October 09, 2006

Facing the Giants


Went this weekend to the new indie film 'Facing the Giants'. For those that do know me I am a very critical movie watcher. OK they say I am way to critical of movies these days. With all of the junk out there can you blame me?

Well anyways we wanted to support the Christian Arts as well to see the film. I generally do not write about my movie watching but this time I am going too. Not that it was the greatest movie ever made but it can make an impact on a dying world.

The movie takes place in Georgia at a Christian High School. I also read that the movie was written and produced by a Church in Georgia, thus the Georgia connection.

It was about the schools football team and how when following Christ any obstacle placed before us can be overcome. Also while following him he will honor us in our life.
Being a Christian movie with little budget there were a points within the film that took a little bit to get past. There were a few very hokie parts (at least I think so), the acting was not the greatest either (but there were some very brilliant parts as well) and sometimes hard to get past. The story and the sports sequences are the parts that made this movie well worth the watch.
It was overtly Christian without trying to hide that fact with many biblical readings and stories being told. It was very refreshing to see this and to hear this at our local movie Theatre.

My biggest kudos go to the Assistant Coaches and their banter back and forth. They were just too funny with some good one liners to bring humor into it. Another Kudo goes to their action shots of the football games being played. Most movies in my book (Jerry Maguire, The Replacements for example) that have contact sports like this are staged for the movie. I know that prophetic statement comes as a shock to most of you. This movie the action was great and felt like real games being played. So I tried the whole movie to see the "staged" play, by golly there were only 2 smalls ones that felt staged to me. I really got into that.

Over all there were many stories being told that all lead to Christ. How awesome is that?

Just as with Christian music there was not much good stuff being produced in the beginning. It took a while for Christian music to hit strides that brought it to where it is today. Support your Christian Arts by seeing this movie and future movies as well. The more they make on each film more "hollywood" will take notice and see that Faith films can and will make money to continue to produce higher quality movies with such Christian stories.

Also check out 'Fox Faith Movies' to see more pictures coming out.
Let me know what you think if you have seen it or after seeing it.

No comments: