Monday, January 29, 2007

Bowl with it!


Well Friday night after a very frustrating week at work my wife and I decided to go out. We ended up going to Main Event and played pool for a half hour before we were called for an open lane.

It was pretty uneventful for us until near the end of the hour we had for the lane. We decided to pop up the rails on the lanes for each of us so we did not have gutters to contend with. My wife and I being non bowlers gutters tend to be a big part of our game.

We only had about 11 minutes left on the clock and about 7 frames to go to finish our last game to make it a full 3 games played. These bumpers were not the old blow up bumpers they had when they first were created. These are built into the lanes and are actual railings that pop up out of the floor.

At one of my turns I looked down the alley and decided to throw the 14 pound ball down the lane as fast as possible since it had radar to tell you how fast your ball was moving. Well the ball did not release from my hand when I thought it should have. It released a little late and ended up catching a bit of air under it. When it finally starting coming down it hit the top of the Bumper railing propelling it into the next lane. It hit the next lane about five feet from the pins only for the "sweeper" mechanism to fall just before it hit any pins.

It smacks into that and rolls the five feet back into the front of the pins jamming the sweeper and stranding my ball in the next alley's gutter. And I thought these things were supposed to keep my ball out of the gutter. I should have asked for my money back at this point but I was laughing a bit too much.

So I had to track someone down and get them to go down and retrieve my ball for me to. I think this happens a lot for them since he did not say anything about why my ball was in the next lane. It was new for me since I have never done it before but I have seen it before by one of my buds who prided himself in doing it at least once a game. He likes to palm the lightest ball and chuck.

All of the people around us a had a good laugh about it. I actually offered the younger kids next too us five dollars due to the minutes lost in their time but they did not accept it. I guess the laught they got was enough payment. Especially to see some older fart doing his best Fred Flinstone impersonation.

Oh well it was a fun time and a great moment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT was quite a site to see! Bumper Bowling is the way to go!

Mercy's Maid said...

What a funny story!

Once upon a time, I was bowling and for some reason unknown to me, I just threw the ball down the lane without looking to see that the little sweeper thing was still down and in the way.

My ball slammed into it and I was really embarrassed...but at least I didn't crash my ball into someone else's sweeper! :)