Friday, September 08, 2006

Music

Well I think the iPod is a great invention that also has it's down side as well. The best is that I can put all of my music in one small mechanism and carry it around wherever I want and not worry about lugging my whole CD case. Nice!

The downfall has been the fact that I want to fill it so I have been on a search for new music. This means money spent to purchase the music on iTunes. I cannot complain all too much since you can purchase one or two songs from particular album if you want and leave the rest there. Also to purchase the whole album it is cheaper than the $13-$16 for a CD. So all of those are very positive.

I have found three sites to be very helpful in my search for new music. One of them happens to be MySpace since you can hear a few of their songs with out purchasing them. Another site has been PureVolume which I have located a number of new artists. Well at least new artists to me, much better than wading thru radios stations. I like the control that I have to find what I like and then flip to iTunes to purchase. iTunes is another site the only prob with them is it only gives you 30 seconds of a tune to listen too. Not enough sometimes to really see if it is worth the purchase.

A couple of the new groups that I have found this way have been Feeder, The Fold, NeedToBreath and most recently have found Circleslide. Circleslide I actually found inside of an article online at CCM Magazine while they talked about one of my fav groups in the past The Choir. But they mentioned their MySpace address so I went looking and listening. Pretty cool stuff! So I actually used MySpace the way that it was originally made to be used, amazing!

Also PureVolume gave me the opportunity to listen to The Choirs newest album "O how the mighty have fallen". Listened to it and then went over to iTunes and purchased it along with the new Jars of Clay Album Good Monsters.

Kind of nice to have all of these tools to locate music you would not normally get to listen to on the radio.

I had a funny thought last night that there are only two groups in my library that I have enjoyed all of their music. One is not together anymore and the other still does music along with solo albums that are good. The first is The Call and the second is the 77's and Mike Roe solo stuff. Otherwise there are many groups that either never make another good album or have some hickups in their bands existence but come back strong like both Jars and especially The Choirs latest projects.

One thing on iTunes that I like is that they have Free Songs and Videos for you to down load as well. I have grabbed a few of those from the site as well.

Any other sites or groups to check out?

1 comment:

Hankinstien said...

Here's some music thats been really getting to me lately:

Film School
Theory Anesthetic (won't find them on itunes, but you can purchase at mperia.com and theres a MySpace)
Copeland
Sigur Ros
Imogen Heap

Happy hunting!