Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Never thought I would give kudos to this man...

As most of you know the Reverend Jerry Falwell has passed on to be with his maker. Also we all know that with his stance on things he has angered many people in the process. While tooling around news sites this morning I read many of the same things expressed on many of them especially if they allowed comments by readers. Complete joy that he is dead and for him to now take his place in hell at Satan's side.

I do have to give kudos to someone I never thought I would ever be giving kudos too. But he has surprised me in his statement and not many people are aware of what his comments are.

First I will give the quote and then let you know who it is.

"My mother always told me that no matter how much you dislike a person, when you meet them face to face you will find characteristics about them that you like. Jerry Falwell was a perfect example of that. I hated everything he stood for, but after meeting him in person, years after the trial, Jerry Falwell and I became good friends. ... I always appreciated his sincerity even though I knew what he was selling and he knew what I was selling."

The man for whom my kudos goes to is Larry Flynt the founder of Hustler Magazine. The two where polar opposites in their belief system and after being sued by Falwell for something Larry still had the humanity not to blast him for opposing him at every turn.

I just do not understand the hatred people have for people they had never met and are not afraid to share this sheer hatred for these people. Even if we do not have the opportunity to ever meet those that we disagree with we should still look for the good within that person. Just as Larry's mother stated we should "find characteristics about them that you like" even if you dislike the person.

I just do not understand the sheer hatred for someone and then to express joy when something tragic happens to that person.

There was a recent story where a top radio talk show host in Milwaukee whose mother perished in a condo fire. A competitor on the air made statements such as "It couldn't have happened to a better man" and sharing with his audience his happiness over the lose of his mother and making fun of it. He is now off the air by the way only to be replaced by his son who

Ya have to appreciate that after everything the two fought over in the press, in court and in life Larry still had understood humanity and shared appreciation for Jerry and not wishing ill will to him or his family.

Even though I do not care for what Mr. Flynt stands for I can appreciate him and respect him for this aspect of his personality and give him a kudo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very good...I am impressed with all your blogs.....especially the ones about your wife, the wonderful little guy (think A&M) soon joinng the family and the great picture of Wilson Resort....maybe we should start a B&B....MOM :)

Mercy's Maid said...

That's really an interesting quote. I knew they had a history, but I hadn't read that quote before.

I was not a fan of Falwell--I think he did a lot of harm to Christianity (as well as good), but I'm glad he had a seemingly peaceful death--no suffering, etc.

Toebee's Fumes said...

No A&M in my kiddo's future. At least not for the next 17 years!!