Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Here we go again

Do Americans want to keep dollar bill
By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer Sun Feb 11, 7:09 PM ET
WASHINGTON - Maybe Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea should not take public rejection personally. It's not easy overcoming people's indifference to dollar coins, even those honoring such historic figures.
A new version of the coin, paying tribute to American presidents, goes into general circulation Thursday. Even though doing away with the bill could save hundreds of millions of dollars each year in printing costs, there is no plan to scrap the bill in favor of the more durable coin.
"I really don't see any use for it," Larry Ashbaugh, a retiree from Bristolville, Ohio, said of the dollar coin. "We tried it before. It didn't fly."
Two recent efforts to promote wide usage of a dollar coin proved unsuccessful. A quarter-century ago, it showed feminist Susan B. Anthony on the front; then one in 2000 featuring Sacagawea, the Shoshone Indian who helped guide the Lewis and Clark expedition.
The latest dollar coin will bear Washington's image, followed later this year by those of John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. A different president will appear on the golden dollar coins every three months.
The series of coins will depict four different presidents per year, in the order they served.
Congress voted to create the new dollar coin, betting that this series would be more popular than its recent predecessors.
The Susan B. Anthony dollar put the image of the women's rights activist on a small silver coin that looked a lot like a quarter. The U.S Mint was left with millions of unused coins.
As for the Sacagawea dollar, gold in color, millions of the coins also piled up in bank vaults for the same reason: lack of demand.
People say they just prefer the traditional greenback.
"The dollar bill is lighter, takes up less space in a clutch or a man's wallet and paper money counts easier and stacks up easier than metallic coins," said Nena Wise of York, Pa.
People have strong feelings about their money, even the penny.
A congressional effort to reduce the need for the cent piece failed even though it costs more to produce the copper-colored coin than the coin is worth.
Supporters of the new presidential dollar coin point to the success of the 50-state quarter program. Begun in 1999, this program has introduced millions of people to coin collecting for the first time.
For Richard Wander of Albany, N.Y, the dollar coin is a welcome addition because he is "kind of a collector."
"I think it's good to have both," he said. "Instead of taking time to put four quarters in a parking meter, you could put in a dollar.
"But I think dollar bills are part of the economic system," he said, "and they work fine."
<================================================>
My two cents worth on this issue. I HATE COINS!! I do not like things in my pockets especially things that jingle. I have a container in my car where all of my coins go once I get in my car and on a counter top at home in case I forgot to take the coins out in the car. If I am with my wife she is the benficiary of the change that does not make it to my pockets.

I had a boss once that liked to "sneak" around to catch his employees doing something that he did not approve of. The only catch is that we could always tell he was coming since he ALWAYS had change in his pocket. Usually his hand was in there as well moving it all around making all that noise.

My opinion is to go to all bills. I know that would be impossible so let us at least limit the number of denominations that get coin status. Dollars have failed many times in the past so let us keep trying. Does not make any sense to me, get it sense!! Me too funny. Well anyways keep your eyes and ears pealed for the new dollar coin.

Make sure to check the poll to the right!===>

3 comments:

Mercy's Maid said...

Ha! Check out this blog entry about the new coins.

http://kagomeshuko.livejournal.com/930075.html

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...coins are too heavy. In the UK they have coins for the 1pound rate of currency and boy do they get heavy - luckily they don't weigh a pound but they are still bulky. I say lets stick with bills!

Oh..I didn't see the survey...

Pocket Change News said...

Hi there, I make a couple of purchases everyday in Canada where we have $1 and $2 which is great as you can buy lunch with your pocket change.

It's not heavy at all and I carry my coins with the help of a little change-holder called Portsou that I picked up online.

Check it out www.portsou.com