Monday, February 12, 2007

Reading

This past weekend was filled with something that is just not me. Never has been the thing that people would characterise me with. My head stone or Obit will not read "Loved to read". Reading. Ugh! I never just pick up a book to read when I have down time, that is why TV was invented for people like me. No not the lazy people even though I am at times. For those of us on this spinning planet that have a more visual nature like myself.

I did have a favorite book for while though, besides the B-i-b-l-e. It was one that I could lean on in time of my laziness. It actually gave me stability for a while as well. Cannot remember what the book was named but it worked well as a forth leg on an old chair that I had. Ahh the memories of my book days.

Why would I read then? Well I had two projects this weekend that I needed to take care of. One I had to finish reading a portion of a Book with the name of "The Call". My wife and I had to read this and write a two page paper on why we feel lead to the mission field and why ultimately Nigeria at this time. Well I got that read and actually got the paper written as well. It was good reading and in one section of the book gave me a clearer understanding on why now and not before. If ya want to know just ask I am not the best at explaining things. Well we got them turned into Joanne in the missions department for entry into their Mission Candidacy Program.

Also I am taking a class at Church called "Encountering Islam". It has been a great class so far as well. For the most part is from a Christian perspective but we have had a couple of weeks of the Muslim point of view as well. One week there was an Imam from a local Mosque that came to talk with us and answer questions we had. In our last class we had a woman in the Mosques outreach department come and talk as well have a Q&A time. This particular woman was raised in a Catholic church that at the age of 24 converted to Islam and is very passionate about her beliefs these days as a Muslim. Very intriquing to listen to her and know her thoughts on the questions we had for her.

It has opened up my eyes to what Islam is and how very lost they actually are. Always knew they are a lost but in seeing how far they are mislead to believe what they believe. So this is giving me more of a desire for Nigeria and to work with the northern half of the country which follows Shari'a law. Shari'a law is the strictest form of law instituted by Muslims in some Islamic countries.

For the most part the reading that is required in this class has been very informational for me. It has opened up a whole new vision of what Islam and being a Muslim requires. Very similar to Christianity and Judism but yet so lost.

Oh well just had to let ya know that I do read, when required of me. I do actually read the paper, and magazines. I am a news junky I guess. Tell me what is going on NOW!! I always have to be in the know.

No comments: